Cleaning a griddle or any kitchen appliance is of utmost importance to ensure its longevity. A griddle is a broad-bottom base vessel that can cook foods like an omelet, bacon, steaks, burgers, etc. They contain wood underneath the stove or even an in-built electric burner mechanism for fire supply.
Maintenance is very important for cooking appliances and essentials. If not cleaned, they can rust easily and become useless for cooking purposes. This blog focuses on why is it important to clean a griddle and how to clean it, before and after cooking.
Why is Cleaning a Griddle Important?
A griddle is a new-age kitchen essential that helps you create mouth-watering dishes packed with a lot of flavors. Seasoning it with grapeseed oil and heat is an important part of maintenance. Read more on Griddle Seasoning to understand the perfect way of seasoning it.
Many times cooking happens outdoors on a griddle attracting a lot of dust and debris. These dust particles become stubborn over time creating a thin dirt film on the surface. Cleaning this pan eliminates such dirt particles and makes your appliance ready to use.
This pan is made of various base metals like Blackstone, cast iron, etc. Most of them are available in the form of gas griddles, electric griddles, flat top griddles, and commercial griddles. No matter what type you use, a proper clean-up is essential across all types of griddles.
How to Clean a Griddle?
Cleaning a Griddle Before Using it
Cleaning before using a griddle removes all kinds of residue left from shipping and packing.
- Use a dry cloth to remove the dust gently
- Mix some warm water and kitchen soap bar into a solution
- Use the solution to rub the surface with a wet cleaning cloth
- Use clean water and a clean cloth to rub over the surface again
- Allow it to dry well before use
Cleaning a Griddle After Using it
- Heat the griddle using maximum flame until it becomes completely hot
- Set it aside and pour some hot water to allow the hard-stuck food debris to soften. This will make it easier for you to scrape away the food particles
- After resting it around for 10 minutes, drain the warm water and use a scraper or a resistant spatula set to rub the surface for any stuck food
- Take a wet cloth and slowly rub it on the surface. The wet cloth will take care of any remaining food particles in the corners
- For Blackstone Griddles, use a Blackstone scraping pad to gently rub the surface. This ensures that the griddle surface remains scratch-free
- Rinse off with cold water
- Use a dry cloth to gently pat it dry. Be careful of the outside temperature if you are planning to put the pan out in the sun to dry. Extreme hot conditions can cause damage to the cooking surface
- This cleaning has to be followed by a fresh coat of oil evenly spread on the surface before cooking every single time
- If you feel that the pan needs a rust cleaning, then instead of a general spatula use a metal one along with a few grill stones. It will apply the appropriate force to scrape off the rust or stubborn leftover
What Kind of Griddle Brush Should be Used For Stainless Steel Griddle?
The best kind of griddle brush for a stainless-steel griddle is one that is made of abrasive material and can remove the grease without scratching the surface. A good example is the Scotch-Brite Scotchbrick Griddle Scrubber.
How Should I Store My Griddle?
You should store your griddle in a place that prevents it from rusting, preferably in less humid environments. Keeping it in a secured place will ensure its proper working and longevity. Make sure you follow the below-mentioned pointers.
A Cool, Dry Place
Prefer a place that is cool and dry. This will help in preventing rusting and will keep your griddle protected from excessive heat. If you plan to store it in some compartment, make sure you don't put any weight over it.
Cover Your Griddle
Next, it's important to cover your griddle with the right canvas cover. The cover act as a shield against external agents like dust, rust, and other dirt particles. Covering it also provides you with a scratch-free surface.
Step to Follow while Cleaning Commercial Griddles
- Preheat your griddles and scrape off the food debris with a spatula
- Start boiling them with warm water to eliminate the excess grease
- Drain the water and place the pan with the scrubbing pad on top of the surface and start scrubbing.
- Rinse and wipe with a dry cloth. Dry further to get rid of the moisture
A griddle is a sturdy and robust unit, but if not maintained properly the delicate coating might get damaged. It will make cooking, a hassled experience for you. You should take care of this pan to get long-lasting usage. Your cleaning task will become easy if you will follow our above-listed steps.
Stay up to date
Want to be the first one to know about the latest product reviews, subscribe now.