The word routers and modems are commonly heard, every time we talk about network and internet. But it’s important to understand the difference between the two, as the terms are often used interchangeably. People do not find the right time to research about the two, to understand the basic differences and struggle later.
In this guide, we’ll help you understand the difference between the two and update your knowledge by explaining them in detail. In simple terms, a modem is a device that connects you to the internet. Whereas, a Wi-Fi router helps distribute the connection to your laptop, PC, mobiles, and various other devices in your home or workspace.
Modems and How They Work?
A modem is basically responsible for fetching the signals from your internet service provider. It converts the analog signals into digital signals and connects your network to the Internet.
Your ISP provides you with a modem. The term comprises two words, ‘modulation’ and ‘demodulation’. It modulates and demodulates the network between your ISP and devices. Costing approximately $60, modems can be used in combination with routers too.
Routers and How They Work?
As the name suggests, a router like TP-LINK AC 1750 routes the data between multiple devices. The modem connects to the router by the WAN port, while it connects to the other devices wirelessly. Ranging from $100 to $200, Wi-Fi routers improve the speed of the internet provided to you.
If you have a larger space, you might require repeaters too. Repeaters help in distributing the internet network evenly around a larger space. They are in turn, connected to the main router.
Where to Use Routers and Modems?
If your requirement is just to connect your PC to the internet, you can go with one modem. This saves money too. However, if you’re looking to connect multiple devices, don’t hesitate and go for a Wi-Fi Router like TP-LINK AC 1200. It’ll help you to efficiently to your internet connection despite interferences.
How to Connect Different Devices to Wi-Fi Router?
Most of the devices use Wi-Fi as a medium for connection and smooth syncing. For instance, wireless printing allows us to print from any device wirelessly. An Internet protocol camera, which comes in use majorly for surveillance, is also connectable to the Wi-Fi. Let’s see the steps which help us connect various devices easily.
How to Connect Printer to Wi-Fi Router?
- Ensure that your Wi-Fi Router and printer are well in position and in the same range for a smooth and interference-free connection.
- Switch on your printer and connect it to the wi-fi network by putting in your SSID and password. This will ensure that your printer connects to Wi-Fi.
- Connect the devices to the internet and sync it with the printer for printing wirelessly.
How to Connect Laptop to Wi-Fi Router?
- Open your default IP address in the browser.
- When prompted, key in your username and password.
- Pick a name or SSID for your router for future uses.
- Choose the security which might range from WEP to WPA2.
- Consequently, your laptop will now get connected to your Wi-Fi Router.
How to Connect PlayStation or Xbox to a Wi-Fi Router?
- For a PlayStation or Xbox, open the home menu on it.
- Go to settings and select the Network option.
- Choose Set Up Internet Connection.
- Select Use Wi-Fi
- You’ll find a list of all the surrounding networks. Choose your SSID name from there. Enter the Wi-Fi password to connect.
The Bottom line
Going with routers requires proper maintenance. If you buy a Wi-Fi router like Nightgear Nighthawk, it’s advisable to place it in the center. A well-planned position can connect all your devices easily. Also, keep your router in the open to avoid any obstructions.
It’s also very important to replace your modems and routers periodically. You should update the firmware periodically to avoid a breach of security. Additionally, rebooting your modem and router often goes a long way too. If your setup keeps on disconnecting from the internet, a simple reboot might solve all problems. We hope our comparison guide helped you identify the differences between both the devices.
For more such buying options, head over to Bestviewsreviews.com. They review & recommend some of the best products based on their quality, performance, and durability to simplify your buying process. Happy shopping to you!
To stay up to date on the latest product reviews