If you own a smoke detector, knowing how to change the battery is crucial as a maintenance step and for your safety. Chirping and short beeps usually show battery change time in a smoke detector and should be looked into immediately. Despite the type of the smoke detector you own, knowing the way to change the battery can be quite handy.
Even with hard-wired ones, changing the battery is a part of its backup power. This blog focuses on guiding you if you are looking to change the battery of your smoke detector. We have also tried to answer some frequently asked questions with as much insight as possible.
Ways to Change the Battery of a Smoke Detector
Remove the Cover
Most of the smoke detectors come with a plastic cover over the battery slot. While some of them come with a clip, some are attached with screws. Open the cover accordingly.
Place the Battery
Remove the old battery and place the new one. Remember to match the positive and negative side of the battery as labeled in the battery slot.
Test the Alarm
Once the battery is successfully installed, locate the test button and check if the smoke detector works well. A few minutes of pressing the button should do the trick.
Why Do you Need to Change the Battery of your Smoke Detector?
Smoke detectors are safety appliances capable of saving your lives in events of hazards and accidents. If the smoke detectors are not functioning well due to battery issue, then they will not detect and smoke or fire. This might lead to casualties and damages. So, for smoke detectors, changing the battery on time is crucial for your own safety and your house and loved ones.
How Often Should you Replace the Smoke Detector Battery?
Despite the type of smoke alarm you have, changing the battery on time will help prevent the malfunctioning of the smoke detector and keep you safe. Be it a 9-volt battery smoke alarm or mains alarm with a 9-volt hard-wired battery backup, its battery should be replaced yearly. However, there are experts who claim that it is better to change the battery two times a year.
Tips for Changing Smoke Detector Batteries
- It is advisable to change the smoke alarm battery two times a year. It is best if you can set a reminder to change the battery, this way you will never put your safety at risk.
- In a hard-wired unit, it is advisable to change the battery yearly.
- It is necessary to replace the smoke detector every 10 years compulsorily.
- Calculate the expiry by checking the back of the device to see the manufacture's date.
- Check the CO alarms and fire extinguishers yearly
- Place a smoke detector inside each bedroom, sleeping rooms, every level in case it is a multi-storey building, stairwells, bathroom and kitchens.
- A 10-years old sealed lithium-ion smoke detectors' batteries can never be replaced. Thus, disposing of the entire unit responsibly is the right way to go about it.
Smoke detectors are great appliances for contemporary homes, as modern homes are often equipped with other appliances. This puts the houses at a greater risk. Make sure to place a smoke detector at least 6 to 12 inches away from a wall.
In fact, in many places across the continental US, it is illegal to live in a house without a smoke detector. So, if you are thinking of buying or replacing one now, probably this is the best time to do it. For more buying options, head over to Bestviewsreviews.com. We review and recommend only the best products based not heir quality, performance and durability.
To stay up to date on the latest product reviews