The trend of bleaching and hair dyeing has been catching a lot of attention for quite some time now. Bleaching is a technique that strips the hair of its color. Bleaching comes with its own side-effects as the chemicals in the bleach can cause dryness and split ends. This blog focuses on some of the common questions associated with bleaching along with some post-bleaching care tips.
Reading this blog should help you overcome the initial doubts about hair bleaching, hair care tips, and DIY hacks for hair bleaching. At the end of this blog, you will know about hair bleaching more than most people do and that should help you take care of your bleached hair better.
What is Hair Bleaching?
Hair bleaching is hair dyeing technique of artificially lightening the hair to shades of brown or gray. The process of hair-bleaching opens the cuticles where the alkaline agent is applied to them. This technique focuses on dissolving the melanin of the hair creating a lighter hue. The commonly preferred bleach tones are reddish, yellowish, and blonde tones. Schwarzkopf Professional Igora Vario Blond Plus has got good reviews for a smooth and creamy consistency.
Side-Effects of Hair Bleaching
Creates Split Ends
Applying hair bleach widens the cuticles making the hair prone to split ends. Once you apply the bleach on your hair, the cuticles remove the pigment from the hair. This fades the existing hair color and gives a blonde finish.
Changes the Hair Texture
One of the disadvantages of bleach blond hair is that the hair texture changes to a significant extent. This happens when the hair is subjected to the chemicals of hair bleach. The chemicals in the bleach can alter the nature of your hair, be it finer, thicker, rougher, or frizzy hair.
Harmful for the Scalp
Hair bleach contains strong chemicals that can make your scalp itchy and gives a burning sensation. If you exhibit such symptoms, make sure to wash off the bleach and apply some coconut oil or hair moisturizer on the scalp to soothe the area.
One of the side-effects of hair bleach is dry hair. Hair bleach oxidizes the hair color and widens your cuticles. This makes your hair prone to split ends and dryness. If you are planning to do hair bleach, keep longer gaps between bleach sessions. This will allow your hair to maintain its original texture.
This is one of the major side-effects that can be seen commonly in bleached hair. Bleaching lightens the melanin of the hair strands, but if it is not done properly it can discolor the strands permanently. The ingredients in the bleach target individual strands and cause the natural pigments to fade away. This is often replaced by a lighter shade of brown, blonde or even gray. Bleaching frequently is not advisable for your hair health.
Hair Care Products Important for Hair Bleaching
Invest in a good pre-care shampoo to apply on your hair before bath. A pre-care shampoo is often used a night before the hair bleaching process to protect the scalp and hair against any damage. These products moisturize your hair and prevent it from drying when you apply bleach. A good pre-care shampoo ensures that the hair absorbs the bleach. They offer an additional layer on top of the hair to make it resistant against damage.
Heat Protectant Styling Products
Heat styling products are advisable every time you straighten or curl your hair. They seal in the moisture and reduces the frizz in your hair. Good heat styling products can effectively protect the hair texture against the heat. It creates a barrier between the styling products and your hair strands. This helps in retaining its original texture and not form split ends.
Daily shield for hair is usually as a serum. They lock in the hair's moisture and allow the strands to stay smooth and silky. Serums contain silicone that forms a plastic-like layer around the hair strands. This protective layer keeps the hair healthy, tangle-free and smooth.
A good conditioner is important to maintain the natural oil balance in your hair. Hair bleaching techniques often leave the hair cuticles wide. This results in stubborn tangles. A good conditioner can flatten the cuticles, lock-in the moisture, reduce tangles, and add shine to the hair. It also prevents frizzy hair and settles the cuticles so that you can prevent split ends.
Hear Bleaching FAQs
How to Do Hair Bleaching at Home?
Bleaching your hair requires proper steps and should be done with care at home or under an expert’s eyes. To bleach hair at home, the following steps should be followed.
- Wear a pair of gloves to protect your hands before starting the bleach.
- It is advisable to oil your hair with coconut or castor oil a night before the bleaching process
- Wash your hair before the bleach
- Section your hair with a tailed comb. This way you can treat your hair at the back first and proceed gradually towards the front
- The crown section is difficult to reach so it’s best if you treat it the last
- Mix the bleach and the color developer. Use twice the amount of developer as the cream. This will reduce the hair damage
- Once you evenly apply the bleach, secure with a hair clip, and preferably wear a shower cap
- Sit back for 45-50 minutes for the bleach to work
- Wash and let it dry naturally. Using a blower is not advisable at this point
Why Do We Use Toner While Hair Bleaching?
A toner is used for neutralizing the warm tone of the hair. If you don't prefer warm tones in your hair, use toner instead of bleach. Reviews of Sally Hansen Creme Bleach show that this bleach cream offers multi tones and extra strength to your hair.
How Long Should We Leave the Bleach in our Hair?
Bleach should be left in the hair for not more than 50 or 60 minutes. More than 60 min may result in split ends, hair fall, roughness, etc.
How to Lighten your Hair Without Bleach?
This is for people who are wary of artificial products but still like to experiment with their hair. You can lighten your hair without the bleach by using a DIY technique like lemon, honey, sunlight, and tea.
DIY Hair Bleaching Techniques
Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda
- Apply a mix of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide to make a paste
- Mix a cup of baking soda and three tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
- Apply this mask and keep it for an hour
- Once you wash your hair, you will notice your hair one or two shades lighter
Word of caution, be careful with the quantity of Hydrogen Peroxide. Never leave the hair mask for more than 1 hour as it might damage your hair.
Lemon and Water
- This works the best on virgin or untreated hair
- Mix equal amounts of lemon and water in a spray bottle
- Spray it all over your hair evenly and stand in the sun for 30 minutes
- It will create an all lightening effect on your hair
. Using Chamomile Tea
- We all know the benefits of chamomile tea on health. It can be used as an excellent bleaching agent
- Mix about 5 bags of tea in hot water and leave it for 30 minutes
- Once the temperature cools down, put it in a sprayer and spray all over the head evenly. Separate some tea and mix it with your conditioner
- Go out into the sun and wait for 30 minutes before washing your hair
- While washing use the chamomile mixed conditioner
- Allow your hair to dry naturally. What you will get is a lighter hair
Natural ingredients like rhubarb, honey, and apple cider are also commonly used for lightening the melanin and give lighter hair. Natural bleaching agents is better as there are no added chemicals.
Best Hair Bleaching Brands
- GiGi Gentle Hair Bleaching Cream
- L'OREAL PARIS Quick Blue Powder Bleach
- Joico Vero K-Pack Crème Lightener
- Clairol Professional BW2 Lightener
- Jolen Creme Bleach Original Formula
These bleaching selections are known for their efficacy, protection to the hair, and their power to stay for more time than others. You can either buy them online, preferably on Amazon or pick it up from Walmart. Make sure you read customer reviews and check the product description carefully before buying.
Artificial coloring is always a ‘no-go’ for hair but with styles and trends catching up, it is hard to ignore and stay the same. Not to forget, we ladies get bored with our looks quite frequently and changing hairstyles and hair colors is the most satisfying way of getting a new look.
Hair bleach should have proper post-bleach hair care and decent intervals between bleaching sessions can be a great way to go all blonde. The reviews of BLEACH LONDON Reincarnation Mask mark it as one of the best-selling hair bleaching products in 2021. You can also check genuine reviews of hair chalks and hair masks for making an informed buying decision.